Welcome to my life! This is where I post notes and thoughts on my personal experiences. Grammar and spelling Nazi's beware I seldom edit my thoughts. For my art page visit www.evergirlart.com

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LOGIN Leaches

LOGIN Leaches

Now heading towards year 4 LOGIN is considered by those who attended to be a huge success. We have been successful in bringing together C-level people from around the world that develop games that are played online, mix in quality speakers and relevant sponsors , devoted adviser's and great volunteers and you have a recipe for success. This success isn't something that happened magically. It took a lot of people working together and devoting hundreds if hours , it required community support , and a lot of hard by Peter . LOGIN is called the best industry event by all those who attend. Sure we have had our share of problems but over all the event is a successful event. Please don't get that mixed up with being profitable!

After the event each year we give ourselves a week to cope with the post conference funk and then its back to work on planing the next years event. This year I made a big mistake. I started contacting people whose business cards I had collected at the conference. That might not be thought of as a mistake but that is only the first part. I asked if they had a good LOGIN experience and after the call I would add them to my address book , or invite them to join me on linked in.
The mistake was when I contacted a gentleman who gave me his card and I noticed he hadn't registered for the event. His title, Vice President Content / Entertainment Practice. The company he was with did not seem to be a small struggling company quite the opposite. When he told me he had enjoyed the parties I told him that the parties were for attendees only and that he should have bought a day pass or I would have been happy to sell him a party pass. I told him that since he attended I would like to send him a credit card authorization form or give him our address where he could mail us a check to make good for at the very least he should purchase a day pass. His reply was, " whats it to you if I didn't pay?" "There is no way in hell I am paying for an event where I just went to the parties and held meetings? " This response knocked me off balance and put me on the defense. When I told him that in my eyes gate crashers at LOGIN are not only stealing from me but they are stealing from all the attendees he got a bit pissed. He then sent me quick email telling me that his company attorneys have his meeting schedule along with a written letter from the Marriott that the Lobby areas are common areas and that he could be there if he wanted to be. How does one do this in less than 5 minutes? Was he bluffing , was it done in advance? All these questions racing through my mind. I sent an email back and said you win! I am dropping this, have a nice day.

Red flag for Asshole! He in advance had a letter from the Marriott about where he could be? I wonder??

But, I had his business card which to me met he was at our party which was clearing marked private party. So I told Mister whats it to you , what I thought and regretfully said I would like to post his name on the LOGIN web page along with a few others that were only pretending to be an attendee.

Mister what's it to you, wasn't the only LOGIN leach, there were a few others one was a CEO who had recently announced raising millions of dollars. One guy had the nerve to come down to our exhibit area and when I asked him if he was going to register he said no I am just here for a meeting? WTF! Why do some people think they are entitled to getting everything for free? Are they legends in there own minds? After pouring myself into an event each year and ending up in the red I feel like I have a right to take people stealing from me personally.

Was the guy I called on the phone just pissed because he got caught? I looked at his Linked in profile and it clearly said he was attending LOGIN. Is this the new way to do business? What about the CEO who was hanging out in the LOBBY just feet from our party, or the guy who told me he lost his name badge and 20 minutes later I saw someone else with the name badge on. Are these these the types of people we want to do business with? It seems to me that if these folks value the quality of the attendees that we bring together that should support the event instead of act as a LOGIN leach. We are not a company with deep pockets and a huge staff. We are Peter , Paul , James, Joe, John, Erik, Steve , Scott ,Brandon, Rich, and me, all working hard to do something really cool for an industry we love.

Sure there are a lot of conferences and they are expensive. We work hard to make sure our event offers the best quality and the best attendees. We understand that times are tough and people are struggling and they can't afford to attend all these conferences. We are happy to help people out! Our volunteers ranged from CEO's to students some helping before during or after the event so that they could earn a complimentary pass.

Maybe I should not take things so personally, maybe Mister whats it to you, was right when he emailed one of my friends and said, "So now you bring up an interesting point. Compromise might have been achievable, as I am always in favor of helping one out. However, Cynthia needs to go to business school to learn how to approach people and have professional discussions, with C-levels from companies. Her approach and tact; has been nothing short of unprofessional, inappropriate and downright offensive. Therefore, all hope of a compromise has subsequently been lost."

I honestly think if Mister what's it to you, registered for LOGIN 2010 I would prefer to send him a refund and tell him to stay home. Sure it might be immature and unprofessional but I find stealing to also be unethical , unprofessional, and insulting.

Please tell me if I am over reacting! Should I just be happy he booked at the conference hotel? Do you want to do business with Mister whats it to you?

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot to be said for integrity, and a lot to be said when it is lacking. At the very least, it would have been appropriate for any gate-crasher to apologize. That would have been tact..!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Issaquah, WA, United States
I am who I am because of thousands of life experiences